Monday, January 09, 2012

Ode to a Discontinued Yarn...


 

I was going through my stash today and updating my online stash on Ravelry and I pulled out 6 beautiful balls of cotton yarn. Normally I wouldn't really consider cotton yarn as 'beautiful' but these colors are just lovely and really do deserve the title. They are Rowan 4 Ply Cotton. A smooth earthy mix of both baby and adult colors in a fingering weight yarn. I have 1 full ball of each color originally intended for a toddler dress from a back issue of Interweave Crochet. Here is a picture of the dress: 
I tried to find it on their website but couldn't. Luckily good old Ravelry has it stored in their patterns index. Of course my colors are a little less clashy and it was fun picking out the yarn. I found the color chart for this yarn on Yarndex, a handy tool. If you've never checked it out before you should. It will tell you everything you need to know about a yarn including a list of people that may carry it.

The beautiful colors you see here are Angel 143, Bloom 132, Opaque 112, Aubergine 148, Steel Blue 149 and Ripple 121. I think they go quite well together and still might make the dress yet, just that I haven't crocheted in a while. Each ball ran for about $6.50 and Rowan discontinued them in the Spring of '09. The knit gauge is 28 sts /4 in on a 2-3 US needle. 

 Aren't they lovely?

No comments: